Monday, June 25, 2012

Faces of Namatala

I freaking love the people of Namatala. Today we went in and just wandered around and took pictures to use for the photojournalism part of 1000 Shillings.  It was one of the best days I have had since I have been here. I forget about how special the people of the slum are- they are living in less than desirable circumstances but find joy in the little things. I mean just take a look at the picture above and try and tell me you didn't smile. If you ever have a bad day you can just look at this chunk of a baby and he will make you laugh! I can't get over this picture!!
This is an example of one of the bigger houses in Namatala. We went and talked to all of the bead ladies today and literally their houses were smaller than most walk in closets in the United States.  Elizabeth (below) showed me her house and what you see is the entire thing... there are 2 beds touching in an L shape and then that huge pile of beans there drying in the middle of the room- that's it. She sleeps there with her 6 kids. I have no idea where they all sleep- they range in age I think she said from 3-14. She is holding the paper that she painted to make beads with! It was so awesome to just drop in unannounced and see all the ladies beading! They really are dedicated which makes us hope this business works all the more!  I really want to make this work for them! They all have dreams of opening their own businesses and I want to help them reach that goal!

 I love this. He was trying so hard to do his job of taking care of the calf... I can't believe how small he was and how big his responsibility was.
 
This little boy was just carrying around this roll of film- the photographer in me freaked out a bit at the sight of his little fingers on the negatives- but then I just thought it was cute. Pretty much anything goes for toys here.
 Carmen here is ALWAYS hanging out around Child of Hope. She is really cute- but really clingy. She would not leave my side today for even a minute as we were walking around trying to take pictures - which PS was way successful and we have a ton of awesome ones! - whenever I would try and take a picture I would have to drop her hand and she would start to whine/cry a bit. She is a funny girl.
Little Ado is Ida's daughter a is FEISTY. She is the cutest. She reminds me of Hannah actually- she knows she is cute and definitely plays into it.

I know I have been spamming this site but we are so close! Only 130 to go and 35 hours! The money helps to buy these amazing people water filters! Clean water is scarce in Namatala. It is hard to find and expensive when you do. We want to give these people the opportunity to have clean water just like everyone else!
http://www.indiegogo.com/buildingthefutureuganda?a=483184

Donate if you can!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment