Sunday, August 5, 2012

ebola, cholera, malaria- eeee!

So I’m sure you have all heard about the ebola outbreak by now- but my lack of posting has nothing to do with that… one of my African friends here though was talking to me about it and in his typical Ugandan accent said “ebola and cholera and malaria- eeeee!” it reminded me of lions and tigers and bears oh my! haha. People here are so used to this type of thing, it is again NBD. Nobody is particularly concerned here... we joke about it a lot, but I really don't think it is going to be an issue...so no worries... I know everyone is worried.

Sam is my dance partner AND my new tennis partner
On Friday Sam and I had a tennis lesson with our new favorite African named Ayub. I have not played tennis since I was about 7 and took tennis lesson for a week… so I obviously sucked real bad. Sam on the other hand played on the tennis team in high school… Ayub kept saying things like “come on” “focus” “watch the ball” and then the occasional “good” even though his face showed it was most definitely not good. haha he was cracking us up! We actually beat him 1 game out of 6 and made sure to let everyone know! 


Afterwards we went to imbalu, which is the circumcision festival. It only happens on even years and is a BIG deal here. We were a little hesitant to go because it was in essence a bunch of men hopped up and testosterone blazing… but we got a special invitation to sit with the president of Kenya, and I wasn’t about to miss the cultural experience of a lifetime (ebola or not) and we made our way to the festival (it was at a huge field out of town). It was CRAZY right from the boda ride there. Rodg my favorite boda picked us up and we started- along the way we ran into a couple MASSIVE circumcision parades. Each boy that is going to be circumcised has a parade of people dancing and playing drums and holding spears and singing and just generally supporting him. As mzungus though, we cause quite the stir. It  was ridiculous. Rodg valiantly tried to drive THROUGH the parade and the people were amped and for some reason pinching us and hitting us and yelling (not angry but yelling all the same) and at one point someone hit rodg’s glasses off his face and since I was in the middle closest to him I grabbed them and then was protecting his head because obviously I want his hands on the handlebars! As I was defending the rodg though someone hit me in the head with some sort of stick! Super not cool. Ha.


Rodg! right after he let cami drive!
We finally made our way through the chaos and to the festival and at this point think this is the what? worst idea we ever had.  We started to make our way to the important people tent and randos kept running/stampeding towards us as they ran away from the policemen that they were throwing sticks at. It was out of control- so the police threw some tear gas into the mix. Luckily we were already on our way to the tent and weren’t affected. Just saw the people running on the other side of the fence. We had Ayub and David with us and it was sad how the Ugandans treat their own people. We were ushered into the tent no questions asked, just because we were white… Ayub got hit by the policemen and pushed out before we realized what was happening and told them he was with us. It was real sad.  Inside the tent there was no chaos- just the hottest place on earth. All the important people were there though so when the boys started their traditional dances we got to see everything and it was really cool. Def worth the chaos at the beginning. Total national geographic stuff. We didn’t actually see any circumcisions, and I felt insensitive taking pictures of the poor boys walking away with their African lavalavas trying not to cry… It was a really cool experience.
AYUB! 




Saturday we went and hiked Sipi Falls. It was beautiful. HUGE waterfalls in the middle of the jungle, can’t get better than that.  We also fulfilled me lifelong dream of holding a chameleon! I wanted one SO bad when I was little- but I was never allowed to have one… I was so excited to see the first one that the little trail guide boys found at least 8 for us to play with! It was the best! They make everyone so happy!  We got to jump into a frigid river with at least 3 men that were completely naked and bathing- our bad- and it was so cold! Ayub jumped in first and I followed- he basically had to pull me out of the current. It was FREEZING and the current was pretty strong but just more shocking. When Sam got out though she had a leech on her! I obviously did not handle this very well and did this whole ehhh ehhhhh ehhhhhh thing while shaking my hands at her haha. She was understandably freaking out not knowing why I was freaking out and then Cami flicked it off of her. Ha. gross.
and i will name him... pascal 
so excited. 
I leave in one week from today and I am so sad about it. I can’t believe it has come so fast! I am going to miss it here so much.

2 comments:

  1. I'm never going to get over how incredible your pictures are.
    I nominated you for a blog award called the Liebster. You can go to my blog for the information on it. You don't *have* to do it. This is just me trying to get more traffic to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aria I just saw your comment! I don't know what that is.. but thanks!!! You are the best! :)

    ReplyDelete