Tuesday, July 10, 2012

NBD.


I don't think I will ever get over the nonchalant attitude toward human life and innate rights here in Uganda. I can't even comprehend the difference of my life and the life of a Ugandan. All the time when tragic things happen, we are told, "it's ok, that is how life is- it is our way" I want to yell out that it is NOT ok! That those things should not have to be normal! In their experience though it is nothing to complain about, it happens to everyone, they should just accept it. 
They work harder in one day than I have ever worked. It's amazing.

For example, I have told you about Annette, my apaperero from beading, the other day she was really quiet during beading and I went to her "house" afterwards and asked if she was ok, she told me that her good friend and neighbor had died. You know i'm always awkward with news like that- but she said it so matter of factly that I had no idea how to respond. I told her I was so sorry and she just told us the same "it's ok, it is our way here in Namatala". I just can't comprehend that that is daily life- NBD.  Then today Rebecca and I were in Namatala and walked passed her house and she was selling some vegetables outside. Rebecca bought some for the house and Annette said "oh thank you! you have given me lunch today!" She didn't say it to make us feel bad, she was just stating the fact that she wasn't going to be able to eat lunch that day (and probably not feed her children lunch either), but since she made a sale she had some money to get food. NBD.

Annette, my apaperero!

her son Silver

One of my friends at the church works as a guard. He is part of the infamous 21 pack (all the young single adult boys who are all too excited to hang out with us mzungu girls). Yesterday I was at FHE at the church and he was in his guard getup. I went in the little station and saw he had a gun! I asked him if he even knew how to use it and he said "of course". Why wouldn't he be able to use a gun? He is from Northern Uganda after all... I asked what that meant, but all the boys seemed to think it was obvious that anyone from Northern Uganda would be able to use a gun. He then proceeds to tell me that where he is from every boy knows from the age of 12. NBD. He was KIDNAPPED from his home and taken to the bush and beaten and taught how to use a gun. He was able to escape with some of his older friends and had to go into hiding. He told me that it was better for him when Kony moved to Sudan because then he could stop hiding and go to school again. His dad had died and his mom couldn't really take care of him. I made him pinky promise that the story was true- he told it like he was telling me about the time he went to the store- like a total NBD moment. It's a big D. big D. He is one of sweetest and calmest people I have met here. I would never imagine that coming from him. When you think of that sort of thing happening-child soldiers and what not- it is super sad, but to know someone- makes it all the more real. Yet that was 10 years ago and he is not angry or bitter like you might expect. He was baptized a few months ago and is preparing to serve a mission. 


We have another friend (also part of the 21 pack) and he is one of the happiest people I have ever met. He is great. He also has gallstones and not enough money for surgery so is taking medication that makes him super sick and dizzy and nauseous. He can't pay for school fees, but wants to finish so bad, that he goes to the church everyday and studies by himself so by the time he has saved enough to go to school he won't be behind. He has so many bad things in his life but he is totally part of the NBD movement. So happy and I want to say...jolly. That's right I said it- cheese. He is just always smiling, even though he is in intense pain pretty much all the time. I mean my life can't even compare. I feel guilty when I complain about stuff and here he is never complaining.

This is not one of the 21 pack but another always happy man from Bunabuyoka

There are so many other things, this post is real long already though- but the attitude towards men being more important than women- just accepted- no one even questions the correctness of that statement, healthcare not being supreme - that's just how life is, everyone has malaria, NBD if I have a C-section then have to ride with my newborn home in a taxi stuffed with 28 people and then get on a boda (motorcycle) to get the rest of the way to the one room mud hut (that is if they didn't give birth in said mud hut and use a razor blade to cut the cord then go back to work), it's normal that the street kids smell like paint thinner because they have been huffing, NBD.


I just want to point out that all of this is a big deal. I still don't think I have adequately described the sad things you see here that are "NBD" to everyone because that is the way of life- but then in contrast to that the happiness and gratitude that is shown by every person. We are working with a documentarian right now that is going to help us make a movie about Namatala, but he is also working on a documentary called "Uganda 2012" It is in response to that Kony 2012 movie i'm sure everyone has seen. His main point is that when the outside world thinks of Uganda they think of Kony now- which is not a problem. He says they have been out of war for years now and that the real problems in Uganda (because Uganda DEFINITELY has them) are that there is no medication in the hospitals, and that people cannot afford to receive an education.

It still blows my mind that signs like this are at primary schools- it's not fair that they have to deal with stuff like this

I still can't wrap my head around it, but i'm thankful for the opportunity to even take a glance into what life is like for the people of Uganda.


No comments:

Post a Comment